YCK Questions

• June 10, 2013 at 9:10 pm #60586
    Profile photo of Jessica ProtheroJessica Prothero
    Participant

Hi,

I think I may have gotton the coconut water too hot. When making the YCK you have to warm the coconut water to 90 degrees…..well I got busy doing something and the water got very hot. it wasn’t boiling but it was hot….I let the water cool down to 90 before I added the YCK culturing packet then fermented for 36-48 hours. My question is did the heating too hot cause any damage to the coconut water? When the YCK was done it smelled and taste like it always has.

Also I read on here that you can freeze the coc.water until you want to ferment, can you also freeze the meat until you want to make the fermented pudding?

Thanks,
    Jessica

One more thing are there any ideas on how to make the cultured veggie packet stretch farther?

I saw the one on here about the YCK

Thanks a bunch!

• June 11, 2013 at 10:02 am #60591
    Participant

I just read on here where you can freeze the coco water and meat before fermenting 🙂

• June 11, 2013 at 10:03 am #60592
    Participant

about how long will it last in the freezer?

• June 11, 2013 at 11:29 am #60594
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

I have frozen my coconut water and the meat for a month or so, but there is no reason why it wouldn’t last much longer.

As for heating your coconut water, you really do not have to heat it at all. I use mine room temperature. I don’t think you did much damage to the coconut water by overheating but just realize it probably lost the natural enzymes since in essence you pasteurized it…. but no worse then the packaged water a lot of us use in a pinch.

As for stretching the veggie starter, yes you can. Some of us ferment celery juice and then use that as a starter for our cultured vegetables. Search celery juice and cultured vegetables and I think you will find a lot of information.

I hope that helps!

• June 11, 2013 at 11:34 am #60595
    Participant

Eva,

Thanks a bunch!

Jessica

I emptied out 5 coconuts last night put into container in fridge. Got it out thismorning and cloudy light grayish stuff at bottom…..Do you think it’s still okay? Tastes fine. My husbanc was taking out the water from the coconuts for me last night and he didn’t know to check and make sure the water was clear…..also the meat on one of them was slightly pink barely so i threw the meat away and kept the other

Jessica

• June 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm #60596
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

I never had any grey stuff but I did have pinkish water and didn’t use it. Could you strain the water and see if you can get the sediment out?

• June 11, 2013 at 3:37 pm #60597
    Participant

I’ll try…..

Thanks
    Jessica 🙂

• June 11, 2013 at 7:52 pm #60605
    Profile photo of WyndieWyndie
    Participant

I’m curious to know if the straining helped with the grey on the bottom. I haven’t had that before fermenting; after fermenting there are dregs on the bottom but not before…

• June 12, 2013 at 4:11 am #60607
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

I was thinking they may be particles of coconut meat maybe. If the water tastes fresh, I would guess that would be it.

• June 18, 2013 at 1:45 pm #60661
    Participant

Hi,

I fermented it just to see how it would be and I decided to dump it out 🙁 The YCK smelled funny and looked cloudy gray. My next batch was much better, I still had some of the “good” YCK from before so I used that to ferment the next set 🙂

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jessica

• June 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm #60662
    Participant

Hi girls,

I do have one more question……. Making the new batch I used 1/4 cup of leftover batch that was the good one….now I have 3 jars of this new stuff which I only feremented 24 hours and it tastes fizzy and not as tart but kind of tangy. I’ve been reading about the alcohol that some postings have been concerned with and now I’m worried about mine…..it does kind of remind me of beer, it’s been a long time since I had anything alcoholic so Im just going by memory. I also fermented the YCK in my oven with light left on.

Hope that helps in discription.

thanks,

Jessica

if you think it has fermented too long should I use a new starter or can I use from this batch. I’m almost out… Hope this all makes sense

• June 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm #60663
    Participant

one more thing

I’m fermenting the YCK about once a week. On Thursdays….. am I waiting too long inbetween? can the YCK last 1 week?

Thanks
    Jessica

• June 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm #60671
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

Fermenting once a week should be OK.

What are you worried about? If you use the BE starter and your YCK doesn’t get contaminated by wild yeast, you should not get alcohol.

• June 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm #60672
    Participant

Hi Eva,

Okay good, I’ve only used the BE starter

The wild yeast must be when you use kifir grains?
    I don’t quite understand, still learning…..

Thanks, Jessica 🙂

• June 19, 2013 at 6:04 am #60683
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Jessica,

Wild yeast can be kefir grains, yes. Also, we have had some parents have issue with their YCK and come to find out, they were baking a yeast bread at the same time as they were fermenting their YCK…viola… it got contaminated.

• June 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm #60785
    Participant

Thank you for the info 😛

• August 20, 2013 at 5:50 am #61690
    Profile photo of sanjasanja
    Participant

Hi all, just a quick question: I got my first kefir starter package. I put it in young coconut water (from tetra pack, Dr Marten brand). It has been almost 48 hours, the water did not turn to white, there are no bubbles, and the room temperature currently is 28 degrees. Since I did it for the first time, did I miss something? I am really disappointed!
    Thanks in advance!

• August 20, 2013 at 10:58 am #61694
    Participant

Hi Sanja and welcome!

My YCK rarely gets bubbly and fizzy. Many people have different results with the looks of their YCK. What matters is the taste. If it taste sour, it’s good. 🙂 What does it taste and smell like?

• August 20, 2013 at 2:52 pm #61698
    Participant

Hi Wyndie,

I just gave it a try – it tastes sour and it is a little bit fizzy to the tongue, like light champagne. Smells sour like vinegar. The color is yellow and it had bubbles on top. Should wait for another batch to give it to my 2-year old daughter? I can test this one on me 🙂

• August 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm #61699
    Participant

also, I did not mention, I read on the instructions that came with the product that I can mix culture starter and kefir starter, which I did. I put the two sachets into 500ml of coconut water. I hope this is ok? I was thinking, the more – the merrier 🙂

• August 21, 2013 at 5:57 am #61704
    Participant

It sounds like it came out just right. Go ahead and give that one to your little girl. 🙂 Both of you can enjoy it.

And yes, I have combined starters before too. I’m in agreement with you – the more the merrier! 🙂

• August 21, 2013 at 8:43 am #61709
    Participant

Thanks, Wyndie! I have read the BED book, but I still have some questions,maybe you can help. First, I was interested in this diet because my daughter has speech delay and candida issues. She was on antibiotics since she was a little babyuntil 7 months old. I think there is a connection to the yeast problem. The doctors never recommended probiotics back then, but I gave her some on my own. Now she is 2 and is going to speech therapy, she is on gfcf diet from january, I also had to remove eggs (causing hyperactivity) and sugars (reoccurring candida). After these almost 8 months, she is still not talking, but she makes sounds and has some imitations of words. She has improved a lot, but I feel something is missing. She takes fish oils, Nuthera, Calcium+D and every month different probiotics. She was on Nystatin, this helped only temporary. I did a stool test a week ago, and it showed candida in small amount, again. We started BED a couple of weeks ago, but partly. I applied proper food combining, seaweed in almost every meal, now I got the kefir, I will make fermented veggies. But I still give her brown rice, since I think she gets diarrhea/foul smelling BM from quinoa and amaranth. I also give her rice milk (organic, no sugar added). Do I need to go to full BED, or could I go gradually, and take out the rice when she is ready to tolerate other allowed grains? It is just too much for her now. If I understood the book correctly, going slow is what we are actually doing now? And another question regarding the dosage of yck, this morning I gave her half a teaspoon, just to avoid massive die-off. Is this ok,or is there another suggestion? Also, I wanted to as is it ok to continue with regular probiotics, parallel to yck?
    Thanks so much in advance!

• August 21, 2013 at 9:40 am #61711
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Hi Sanja,

Welcome! Sounds like you are making great strides to get on the diet. YCK is the most important and starting that slow is recommended, great job. Up it as she tolerates it well. Also try to up her veggie intake and eliminate the yeasty foods, including rice.

Are you soaking the BED grainlike seeds like explained int he BEDROK Protocol? That should help with the digestion and if not stop and retry in a month or so.

You can certainly give probiotics along with the YCK but there is not a need. The YCK is so much more powerful.

Blessings on all your efforts,

• August 21, 2013 at 2:11 pm #61712
    Participant

Hi Eva,

thanks for the answer! Since I started the BED protocol soaking, it seems all the trouble came up. Is this making any sense?
    One question-is ghee allowed? She has been dairy free almost 8 months, and I read that ghee is very helpful with leaky gut/contains butyric acid.

Kind regards
    Sanja

• August 22, 2013 at 7:24 am #61713
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Ghee is fine.

As for all the trouble coming up… what do you mean? If she has candida and you are trying to kill it… she will have die-off, that isn\’t trouble that is healing 😉 If you think she is having issue digesting the BE grainlike seeds, even after a proper soak, then back off for a bit. It would be odd that she could digest the rice and not the grainlike seeds. I tend to think the loose stools might be die-off. What do you think Mama?

Blessings,

• August 22, 2013 at 12:40 pm #61716
    Participant

You are doing it right. Going slow is the best way so you don’t get unbearable die-off.

We do a lot of our healing by following Mom’s intuition. Knowing die-off is expected, I echo Eva’s question: do you think the loose stools are die-off or intolerance?

FTR, my children could never eat amaranth either. Keeping a food journal really helps in these times of die-off.

• August 22, 2013 at 2:15 pm #61717
    Participant

You are both probably right. she might be having a die-off, it NEVER crossed my mind! She ate these grain-like seeds for the past couple of months, but when I go back a month ago, when I put her on BED, this reaction started! Also, two weeks ago she got this strange, let’s call it- diaper rash on her lower back, a lot of tiny red bumps. Since I started yck two days ago, this rash became a little more intense, and those bumps also came up on arms, and behind one knee (this was her usual place for eczema, while she was treated from candida). Could this also be related?
    As for the positive change, today she did everything I asked from her! Both me and my husband are shocked that she followed all the instructions perfectly! I hope this will continue!

• August 22, 2013 at 3:00 pm #61718
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Yes, rashes can definitely be die-off. It may get a lot worse before it gets better, but hang on, it will get better!

• August 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm #61719
    Participant

Last night she woke up in the middle of the night and was laughing and making sounds for over an hour!She looked fresh as it was morning! I had so much trouble putting her back to sleep. Anyone had/heard of this strange situation?

• August 23, 2013 at 5:54 am #61720
    Participant

Yes; that is VERY typical yeasty behavior. Sounds like things are definitely stirred up.

• August 23, 2013 at 6:30 am #61722
    Participant

She has those laughs during the day also. She got a couple of more red bumps on her legs and feet. And the dark circles under her eyes got wore. They are actually bluish/violet. Is this also connected or could it be other sensitivity?
    Also I have a question regarding yck> I made another batch, just with kefir starter, and it has different taste than the one with both starters. It just would not be sour, smells like beer or bread, but I am not sure should I wait over 48h? Thank! This support means a world to me! Thank you so much! You are very dedicated!

• August 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm #61723
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Sounds like die-off.

It is best to use one starter at first, especially with the kefir since you want the good yeast to be really strong and not have to compete with other bacterias in other starters. The yeasty beer like smell is the kefir fermentation. And yes, using different starters causes a different taste.

• August 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm #61746
    Participant

Hi,

my second batch of kefir&culture starter yck was done yesterday. Finally, I got this white, cloudy color! Maybe it always takes a couple of fermentations to get the real thing.
    My daughter has almost no rashes now,they cleared up. it has been only 6 days on yck, and 4 days on ghee, the Bed diet started a month and a half ago (food combining and most of grain-like seeds + brown rice and rice milk).
    What a huge difference is in her mood and interaction! She is sooo happy, smiling and laughing (but nor candida laughter!) very frequently, she is more present, to put it simply. Like she woke up after a terrible dream and now enjoys life as she should. She notices people differently, normally, to be precise. She wants to interact with everyone, she is excited when sees familiar faces, now more than ever! She brings me toys to play. She is babbling more, although no words have come up yet. Her receptive language is getting better, and she follows instructions as never before. My parents noticed all of the positive changes, so I am not imagining 🙂 She had one completely normal stool two days ago. yesterday and today it was not so good 🙁
    Could it be possible that all of this comes from a single teaspoon of yck daily/and of ghee? it’s really hard to believe, but i really hope it is..also, the other dietary changes+me being home for the last 3 weeks..i guess i did not expect results so fast. I now there is a long way ahead of us. Is all of this normal and when can I increase the dose of yck? Thanks in advance!

• August 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm #61747
    Participant

also,do you have any advice how to take yck to vacation? we are going to the seaside and i was wondering is a 8 hours car ride going to damage yck in a jar? any advice on travel & yck? thanks!

• August 26, 2013 at 5:00 pm #61748
    Profile photo of tylertaylintylertaylin
    Participant

I have taken yck on vacation in glass jars. I get wine sleeves. Or you can have BE drinks shipped to your destination.

Sounds like marvelous progress.
    Shannon

• August 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm #61749
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Keep increasing the YCK and yes, it is possible! When the gut is balanced, you find out what you ar really dealing with:)

• August 27, 2013 at 5:13 am #61751
    Participant

Thanks, I increased today to 2 teaspoons. I hope this slow increase will not make a difficult die-off (she had enough for the past 8 months).
    could i make her some pancakes? for example, mix soaked millet, chia seeds, zucchini, garlic and salt and fry it on coconut oil? would this be BED stage one friendly? so far she was only eating cooked good, i think she needs a break. also I saw in some recipes people combine eggs with starchy food (grain-like seed flour) to make pancakes and other baked things, but I figured from the BED book this is not proper food combining. what do you think?

• August 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm #61756
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

I use egg in my baking now, but didn’t at first.

I think you pancakes sound great! Yes, stage 1 fine.

• August 31, 2013 at 1:59 am #61820
    Participant

Hi!

I slightly increased tck for my daughter to 1 1/2 teaspoon for one day and she was not well. I went back to 1 teaspoon. It seems that it is very strong and as if she can’t tolerate fast increases. Is this normal?
    So, after reading this forum I decided to replace gran-like seeds cooked in rice milk for dinner and breakfast with another type of meal. This morning I cooked soaked millet in bone broth, added sauted onions and pumpkin in ghee, some asparagus and she ate this for breakfast!
    Every day I make her pancakes out of soaked grains+chia seeds (as a binder), throw in some veggies an fry on ghee or coconut oil. She looooves it! I addes some sesame seeds yesterday, but since it is not allowed, I will cut it out in future.
    Today I am making a loaf out of soaked amaratnth and millet (leftovers from soaking), added chia, ghee, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, nori algae and salt. I hope this turns out ok. So, as you can see, we are heading to the full BED.
    I have to say that her stool was really smelly (sour smell) and it was closer to loose. Could this be die-off or yet another sensitivity? I am really puzzled here. She was not herself for the past couple of days since increase of yck. Had one formed BM, but after two days (a little constipation).
    Yesterday evening she was again cheerful. I started to give her a tiny amount of spirulina,I don’t want to put pressure on her system. She has been eating a lot for the last 2-3 days.
    What do you think? Thanks!

• August 31, 2013 at 6:23 am #61823
    Participant

Yes, YCK is very strong; it’s completely normal to need to go slow. In fact, we encourage it. There is a LOT of activity going on in the gut with YCK.

It sounds like you’re dealing with die-off. Everything you described sounds completely normal. You’re on the right path. 🙂

• August 31, 2013 at 3:12 pm #61825
    Participant

Thanks, Wyndie! Today I took her to the playground and noticed she pays more attention to other ids. Wants to get in contact with them. Gets close to them, imitates what they are doing. But she avoids eye contact.This is pretty good change.I am not expecting miracles. She is on yck for only 10 days…I am wondering when should I feel safe to increase her dose? When she stabilizes in her behavior?
    Today she had almost normal BM. Not so smelly, formed, bit I saw parts of quinoa. I think this is ok, since she doesn’t chew her food perfectly. What is the usual time for someone to heal a gut? I know it is probably highly individual, but I am really anxious to know 🙂 So far, I just made short-term goals, such as: learn to point (this is rapidly improving), heal the gut (in progress), imporve receptive language (could yck help with this, too?-indirectly,of course), impore social contact (eye contact goes here also),…and I think talking and first word come at the end? She has no words so fa. She is 26 months old. Only makes sounds like eeeey, tatata, taiiii, yayayyaya, nyanyanya, etc. Our speech terapist thinks there is a bit of apraxia in her case.

• September 1, 2013 at 6:19 am #61829
    Participant

You can increase her YCK every 5-7 days and just watch to make sure she handles it ok.

There is no time frame for gut healing. You’re right; it’s highly individual. Donna recomends you do 100% Stage 1 for at least 3-6 months to maximize gut healing but I know many children have taken longer so it’s best to just reassess in 6 months and see where you stand with healing.

You are healing a LOT Of damage. Be patient and just keep doing the right thing. I know it’s hard to be patient but it’s important. Slow and steady wins the race, eh?

• September 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm #61830
    Participant

That sound like a looong time from this point of view. Today I again gave her full BED menu. It is like she is regressing or having a difficult time. Again she had a rash od the back of her leg. Her stoll was formed and not so smelly. Maybe this is just normal? I am worried about her behavior. It is getting worse.

• September 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm #61831
    Profile photo of tylertaylintylertaylin
    Participant

Hi, it’s a long process. I was very nervous every single day doing this work. In our case along with BED we needed a lot of therapy too. So we worked on the body doing everything we could learn and implement while running therapies that strengthened the healing brain.

I can only speak for what happened in my house but diet was just a small part for us. A vital part. Putting my son at the park would never have recovered him. He needed 1:1 to help his brain go in a typical trajectory. We used Son-Rise and then RDI….which we’re still doing. About the same age your child is my son also had apraxia. Diet alone would never have helped. We needed very intensive 1:1 therapy.

In our house the “behaviors getting worse” didn’t mean to stop diet….it meant to keep going, I kept learning along the way. The body changes. Honestly my son got really worse doing dietary changes and I thought “oh great now I have a crazy kid with autism.” At least prior I could “control him” with bread.

I knew I had to stick it out. It honestly took years….this is a long process.

All the best, keep asking questions. I needed this forum very much during those nutty days. That’s why I still hang around helping at bedrok. I was so lonely and know what it’s like to have guidance during this lonely journey.

Shannon

• September 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm #61832
    Participant

She is experiencing die-off. This is very normal. Things get worse before they get better; it’s the nature of healing. As you clear out the bad guys, they die and release toxins as they die. Those come out in many ways, most often skin and stool but certainly in behaviour as well. There is no “quick fix” to autism so you need to make peace with being in this for the long haul.

Diet didn’t remove autism from us but it was KEY to having in place so everything else we did would work better. When we went thought therapies, all our therapists were shocked at how quickly my children progressed. They all said it must be our diet. I believe it was. You can do therapy with a child while feeding them junk, but they will not see the kind of progress you’ll get in a child with a healthy gut.

Diet is the first step. Patiently let the food do it’s job of healing. Some children do make complete recoveries from diet alone; but NOT the majority of them. Do the diet well for 3-6 months, then reassess and see what else she needs.

• September 2, 2013 at 8:10 am #61833
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Diet is key, not much more I can say that Wyndie and Shannon didn’t touch on. For some reason, I thought this little girl didn’t have autism, just yeast… Any way, BED alone will cure the yeast and that is the truth. As for behavior, it does get worse as the yeast leaves the body and the yeast leaving is a very good thing! I know it is hard to see them appear to get worse, but it passes and you have your child emerge on the other side of it which is awesome! Hang in there, increase YCK slowly so it is manageable. If you are getting this type of die-off with these tiny amounts, I wouldn’t gage 3-6 months I would suggest you dig your heals in and anticipate much longer on BED. It may take you 6 months to get up to the therapeutic dose. I personally increased the YCK daily in very small increments but my child was so sick and wasn’t functioning or leaving the house at that time any way. So, for me, it was OK that he sat on the couch or soaked in the tub most of the day. For a child who is able to go to school or go to the park or even go to therapy, the amount you increase the YCK daily should be very slow and it does take a long time.

Blessings,

• January 26, 2017 at 9:50 am #78684

Hi I made my first batch of kefir now but  it looks like some minute particles floating in it is it good are my batch got waste….It’s not yet 24 hours UpTo now…I made it with harmless harvest…I did heated it before adding starter package and put it in my cooler and heated my cooler box lightly to make sure the warm temperatures inside it…Am I did any mistake… Please somebody help me

• January 26, 2017 at 10:35 am #78685
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

If they are whitish, I bet they are simply dregs which is normal.  When you open the kefir, it should smell sour and taste slightly sour.

• January 26, 2017 at 10:41 am #78686

Thank you Eva …I was scared..By seeing that…Ya they are white color only..Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.