How much food in a meal for three year old girl?

• April 22, 2017 at 7:25 pm #78836
    Profile photo of Christopher BlairChristopher Blair
    Participant

My daughter has a long standing tendency to what I feel is overeating.  Of course, mom thinks its just fine and she’s helping her growth.  My question is, if a toddler’s stomach is really the size of their fist… this is such an astoundingly small meal to your average adult they cannot wrap their mind around anything more than that being overeating.

My wife is convinced if I feed our daughter roughly this amount or slightly less per meal (5-6 meals per day)… I must be insane and will be starving her.  She will gorge herself on foods she likes, often cleaning the entire bowl and asking for more.  Of course they are given in a bowl where she can just eat as much as she wants, like many that just eat what you put in front of them.

Foods she doesn’t care fore she will eat roughly the size of her fist or so and stop without asking for more.  She will not ask for food any more after this, at least seemingly far less than after a meal with foods she craves.  Her temperament is very high energy (running, yelling, crying easily), she also has had skin issues from birth and could not get enough breast milk early on before we started making formula (weston price).  This really has me thinking she’s prone to overeating.

Her stools have only recently become somewhat consistent, for the longest time they were incredibly loose… now they can be quite long… maybe up to 8 inches though seemingly reasonably digested.  I can’t say for certain though how well food is digesting.

Anybody care to weigh in on this?

• April 23, 2017 at 8:02 am #78837
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Hi and welcome to BEDROK,

First thing…. What is she eating and what is she craving that she will overeat?

I wouldn’t worry about amount eaten for a child unless they are eating foods that feed yeast, bacteria and parasites.

• April 23, 2017 at 8:08 am #78838
    Participant

Thank you very much for the response, she will have large amounts of kefir, fruits, soup, meats so I’d say they are pretty sound foods.  I just worry that she’s exceeding her stomach volume and not digesting these foods properly.

She was pretty good sized when she was born, but since she has been on the small side and stays very thin.  Also, is there a general period of time between meals to allow the stomach to clear for toddlers?

• April 23, 2017 at 10:16 am #78840
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Are you doing the Body Ecology Diet with her?

Fruit should be eaten alone. And meats really should be eaten as 20 percent of a meal with non starchy vegetables making up roughly 80 percent.

I wouldn’t worry about the volume of her stomach but I would try to balance her meals and use food combining for proper digestion.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Eva.
  • April 23, 2017 at 7:31 pm #78842
    Participant

Yes, we are on BED.  Thank you for your advice, but is it not a concern not following the other 80/20 rule for stomach capacity?  I guess I just don’t see why it’s important for adults but not toddlers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.