BED Stage 1 legal/illegal list?

• March 1, 2012 at 6:40 am #53137
    Profile photo of abmommyabmommy
    Participant

Hi All,

I have my son on the BED stage 1 diet for past 2 months. Having been on a paleo diet for over a year before then, my son’s calorific intake has been very low, and I am hoping to expand his diet.

I think it would be really useful to have a legal/illegal food list for BED. Does anyone have a starting point? I could post a excel file with a long list of foods and we can fill it out? There does not seem to be a way to attach a file to this forum message. I am not sure which foods are “in”, so need help with that.

Thanks,

S.

• March 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm #53138
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Hi

I remember many many times wanting a list to go by. Somehow I figured it out, what was right for us, along the way. I think with BED, there is so much uniqueness that it is hard. Here is what I did:
    On page 70 of my book there is a list of recommended non-starchy vegetables. I went by this. All these vegetables combine with either a protein or a starchy veggie/grain. Then I spent a lot of time looking on page 56 to know how to combine.
    As for fruit, lemons, limes, black currants and cranberries are the only fruit recommended at first. Then kiwi and grapefruit but Donna says it may take up to a year to be able to handle those. We all have added sour green apple to the allowed foods with Donna’s permission and the kids do fine with it.
    Page 35 has a nice overview.
    Any way, I do think a list is a great idea. This message board has plans to expand and offer even more helpful things, such as what you mention….a beginners guide, etc. Stage 1 recipe section and all…. so stay on the look out!
  • March 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm #53141
    Profile photo of WyndieWyndie
    Participant

I cannot wait for a lovely stage 1 list… it would be very helpful I know. Hopefully we’ll have that out soon.

• March 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm #53142
    Profile photo of abmommyabmommy
    Participant

Hi Wyndie, Eva,

Thank you Eva for guiding to the book. I follow the same. My trouble is with differentiating Stage 1/Stage 2 and I think that can make a lot of difference.

I am trying to eat healthy, certainly trying, we had begun implementing all organic for our son anyway, and trying to get in good fats etc. The first 3-4 months were not that great, but I caught on – but getting to the diet it so hard. I am trying to hang on stage 2 for now.

Do you have an email address for the forum/or personal where I can send the file to you (It is microsoft Excel). It has a long list of foods (I think all that human beings eat) and columns for different diets. My sister helped to do it. I would love to have 3 columns in there: BED Stage 1, BED Stage 2, BED Stage 3/Final. I can definitely fill in it (we just to the fill the Y and N for the food if it is ok for the diet of the column) and for things we don’t know we can ask Ms. Gates? It wouldn’t take more than a couple of days if we split and do it.

Sound good?

Thanks,

Shilpa

• October 31, 2014 at 7:13 pm #68402
    Profile photo of PachipresPachipres
    Participant

Did you guys ever make this Stage 1 recipe file?

• November 3, 2014 at 5:16 am #68460
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

So far, it is only the beginners guide.

• November 3, 2014 at 10:46 am #68476
    Profile photo of PachipresPachipres
    Participant

Where do I find the “beginner’s guide”?

Lorna

• November 3, 2014 at 3:12 pm #68479
    Profile photo of WyndieWyndie
    Participant

One the main page of the BEDROK site. It’s a free download.

• April 3, 2017 at 9:51 am #78811
    Profile photo of SHYAMASHYAMA
    Participant

Can some one provide the BE legal/ illegal food list by stages?

Thanks

• April 3, 2017 at 3:05 pm #78812
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

I don’t think we really have a list as Donna really and truly believes in uniqueness. I think you’ll find the starter guide is a good resource. If you have specific questions… Ask here

• April 4, 2017 at 6:19 am #78813
    Profile photo of Charmaine JonesCharmaine Jones
    Participant

When do you move on from stage 1? We’ve been on stage 1 for almost one year and I have to confess that it’s getting really tough. I think it’s because my son is so much more aware that he eats vastly differently than other kids, particularly his NT sister. He will also try to sneak animal crackers at church (even though they strictly forbid it, enforcing the rule is tough). Anyway, I’m wondering when you could introduce almond flour or brown rice crackers? Even that would open up many more options for us. Or, when you could combine protein with starch? We have seen a lot of gains on BED but he’s been on an incredibly restrictive diet since age 1 and hasn’t had sugar in about 5  years (he’s 8). He’s never eaten a piece of bread in his life. I’m wondering if this isn’t making him more isolated than necessary, not to mention creating a huge burden around various family activities, such as hosting Easter dinner or spending the day at an amuseument park. We are doing an awesome parasite cleanse and seeing some great stuff (alternating with rough die off), enemas, cultured veggies, kefir, supplements, etc. I think we’ve been at this SO LONG that you just start to get tired.

• April 4, 2017 at 10:45 am #78814
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

Consider venturing off stage one when you don’t have any more die-off and you’ve seen all the gains you believe will happen. Add one thing in at a time and very slowly, trying hard to keep a healthy diet.

One year on BE isn’t that long but I totally understand the difficulty.

• April 10, 2017 at 4:13 am #78816
    Profile photo of Charmaine JonesCharmaine Jones
    Participant

We’re still seeing die-off, mainly due to an ongoing parasite cleanse (I don’t see any more die off with cultured veggies and kefir). Maybe even that will end over the next 6 months. I am going to make him something with almond flour for Easter. But, definitely no sugar, dairy, etc.

• April 10, 2017 at 8:35 am #78817
    Profile photo of EvaEva
    Keymaster

That sounds like a reasonable plan.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.